Sympathy gifts for kids … So, a good friend has recently become bereaved. You have expressed your sympathy to them and lent support and help as best you can. But where are their children? Probably alone in their bedrooms, crying. Kids are often the “forgotten mourners” in a household stricken by a tragic death.
Why? There are a few possible reasons:
- Their needs are honestly overlooked in the emotional turmoil.
- Adults think that by not confronting the issue head-on, they somehow shield children from the pain (does not work).
- Many adults think children don’t understand death and therefore aren’t affected as deeply by it. They don’t know how to deal with it, so they just leave the kids alone.
Children need as much comfort and support in times of bereavement as adults do. For more information on how to talk with children about death and how best to help them grieve, refer to our page: help the kids.
Although just being there is the most important thing you can do, if you would like to provide a comforting sympathy gift for grieving children, we have found these quality supportive items you might want to consider, presented below.
- Personal Gift Box
- Hope Jewelry
- Helpful Books for Bereaved Children
Sympathy Gifts For Kids Who Are Grieving
Personal Child’s Gift Box
Create a comforting gift pack for a grieving child by hand-selecting special items. Depending on the age of the child, we suggest the following fun and comforting goodies for your box:
- handpainted wooden spinning top set – gives them something mindless to do
- heart-shaped squeeze ball – good stress-reliever when needed
- super soft teddy bear (this one is adorable!) – cuddly friends are always good for little ones
- chocolate chip cookies (these come in small serving-sized bags)
- a memory book or grief journal where they can share their thoughts and memories with the person they lost. This journal, called Angel Catcher, has very good reviews and looks like a wonderful way to remember the person the loved who died.
Just For You Personalized Dog Tag Set
This set of two military-style dog tags is popular with kids and sure to provide comfort to a grieving boy or girl.
You can write any personalized message you choose, up to 5 lines: the same message will be engraved on both tags.
An example of what you might have engraved: “Dad, you live forever in my heart; 3/23/2020”
A great story to explain heaven; a wonderful gift for a girl who lost a parent or sibling.
- Abalone Shell Dragonfly Necklace with 18″ snake chain.
- Black velvet and satin necklace bag
- Dragonfly Story Greeting Card – 5×7 inches. Premium paper, envelope and sealing sticker.
To read the Dragonfly story which comes on the card, read reviews and ordering information, please use this Amazon affiliate link.
Helpful Books for Grieving Children
There are several expertly written and beautifully illustrated children’s books that can help them understand death, loss and how to cope. One of these volumes is sure to help the adults connect and deal with their grieving children: Grief & Children
Didn’t find the perfect gift on this page?
Try one of these:
Condolence Sympathy Gift Baskets (non-food)
Food Sympathy Gift Baskets (nourishment)
Unique and Unusual Sympathy Gifts
I hope one of my suggestions for sympathy gifts for kids is just what you needed to get. But if not, hopefully, this will give you some inspiration to find your own. Let’s remember the children in their sorrow. they too need comfort and encouragement.