It’s hard to know what to send to a newly bereaved friend, coworker, or acquaintance. You can always send traditional sympathy flowers or a thoughtful comfort basket. However, we present below a few ideas for some really unique sympathy gift ideas we recommend that you might not find elsewhere. Like a tear bottle, for example…
So a friend of yours has suffered a tragedy… the death of a loved one! You feel so badly for them, and yet you also feel a little awkward and uncomfortable. What do you say? How can you help? Is there any way you can actually provide some genuine comfort and support to your fellow human in need?
Yes, there is. You cannot take away the pain or “fix things” for them, so don’t even try. And don’t offer unsolicited advice, either. For some useful pointers on helpful things you can say or do, and what not to say, refer to our section on how to express sympathy.
You may also feel that a sympathy gift would be an appropriate gesture for your bereaved friend. If so, then this section is for you…
Sympathy Gift Ideas To Comfort A Loved One
Our living memorials collection
A truly unique sympathy gift…
Dawn redwood tree-to-be
Thought to have been extinct for centuries, this rare species of redwood is making a big comeback in the gardening world. Beloved for their attractive lacy foliage and ability to grow quickly in most settings, the Dawn Redwood is a magnificent piece of history and this complete growing kit makes a lovely commemorative or special occasion gift.
Azalea outdoor bonsai tree
Planting a tree from seed is a beautiful way to honor someone special in your life. The planting of a tree is a touching gesture. “He who plants a tree plants a hope.” But if planting a tree from seed is not possible for you, gift this beautiful azalea bonsai tree.
This is a gift sure to be cherished!
Tree of enchantment hand-blown glass orb
Beautiful to behold, this large hand-blown glass orb is a special way to honor the remembrance of a loved one in the home.
The globe features an interior glass tree sculpture, accented by “leaves” on its exterior. Like trees in a forest, no two globes are the same.
Each piece is individually hand-crafted by Kitras artists in Canada, designed to be a symbol of growth and strength unique to its owner. A lovely gift to tribute the life and lasting memory of a loved one
Memorial (cremation) jewelry
Was the deceased cremated? If so, then your be bereaved friend likely has an urn in which the cremains rest. A unique gift would be a piece of comforting cremation jewelry, which has a small chamber in which to place a tiny portion of the ash. In this way, they can keep their loved one “close to their heart” always.
There are some lovely pieces of cremation jewelry here.
What could be more comforting… then a soft blanket or comforting pillow that has been personalized with the image of their lost loved one? Read about choices for the special items here: angel blankets & grief pillows.
In loving memory sentiment memorial picture frame
Celebrate the life of a loved one who has passed by creating a lasting tribute on canvas with this memorial picture frame.
Sympathy gift books
These are three of our favorite bereavement books that provide comfort and make thoughtful sympathy gifts. All are highly recommended.
Tear Soup is a universal story of the journey through grief. This book affirms the bereaved, educates others, and is especially useful for an adult to share with a child as a communication tool for the grief process. We love this book and recommend it to the entire family.
The Mourning Handbook is one of our favorite books addressing the grief process. It is ideal for people in the beginning stages of grief.
The Angel Catcher is a guided grief journal designed to help capture the essence of a loved one who is no longer here and forever preserve memories of time shared together. There is a child version of the angel catcher too.
Back To Life is our own personal guidebook to grief recovery. This would make a very useful and thoughtful gift for your bereaved friend or family member.
Didn’t find the perfect gift on this page?
Try one of these sympathy gift ideas:
- A special and unique “Grief Guidebook” to help your bereaved friend through his or her difficult bereavement journey.
- Memorial Jewelry – for men, women, and children; personalized remembrance necklaces and bracelets, as well as memorial keepsakes and “healing jewelry”.
- Memorial picture frames– wrap a photo of the lost one in a beautiful heirloom frame.
- Baby memorial gifts– to help console heartbroken parents.
- Gifts for grieving children– What about the kids? Some truly comforting and creative ideas for bereaved children.
- Sympathy gifts for men– Any of our personalized items or jewelry ideas would be appropriate for a woman; but what about a bereaved man? Men need support, too.
- Sympathy flowers & plants– Some unique and lovely selections to express traditional sympathy thoughts.
- Sympathy baskets– Special comfort packs provide a unique kind of support.
- Food sympathy baskets– Food baskets are practical as well as thoughtful, and sure to be appreciated.
- Pet loss sympathy gifts – For friends who have lost a beloved companion